Sunday, April 14, 2013

Changes.........

    My photography journey officaly started in 1998, but I have had a camera in my hand a lot longer than that.   Wanting to capture my sons every moment in life is what started my journey.  

    I have always had a part time job while doing my photography business.  Sometimes it got in the way of my business, other times it has helped.   Right now I work 30-35 hours a week at my part time job.  This does get in the way of my business,   I can't answer my phone, return emails or book last minute sessions.  

    I have decided that I needed to make changes to help my business.  So I made a goal for 2014, a big one!   My goal is to work only with my photography.  No more part time jobs!    To reach this goal I had to make a few changes in the way I run my business.  First thing is my price.   I never raised my prices, they have been the same since 2000!  A lot has changed since 2000! The cost of living has gone up, I have updated my equipment three times and more!

   Since I made my goal of being full time photographer I have kept better records of my time with each session.   From the start of a full session, editing the photos, making the gallery, emailing back and forth with the client and ordering the prints.  I found out I wasn't even making minimum wage!    Most people think a photographer has an easy job, but it isn't as easy as it seems.   From the time I start your photo session until I order your prints I log in from 15-20 hours with you depending on what type of session and how much editing needs to be done.    Can you imagine working 15 hours and after deducting cost of running a business and the cost of the prints only masking  $45!   I couldn't believe it!  

   I am not writing this to justify my price changes.  I writing this to remind everyone that what we do as photographers is more than just clicking a button on a camera. 

   Over the next 6 months there will be many changes in my business.   I hope you stay with me during these changes.

   Thank you!
Olivia Jean Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment