Wednesday, August 3, 2011

You don't always need to smile......

Every parent is in search of a portrait portraying how happy their child is, with big grins.  The problem with those portraits is most of the time the child knows this and gives fake smiles.  This doesn't always show the true spirt of the child.  The dreamer, the defiant one, the thinker and more.  I will never ask a child to smile or say cheese.   If you do that you will get cheesy smiles, not the child's real smile.   I will talk to them, find out what they like and don't like.   When I do try to get that happy portrait most parents are in search of I say silly things like "say spaghetti pizza" or ask them to make silly faces at the camera, they will soon start laughing and those are true happy portraits.  A real expression not a fake stiff one.

This one here I said to her that my favorite food was pizza with gummy bears on top!   She laughed and I got a real smile!


I always say bring props that mean something to you and your family.  This image shows just that, he loved to play baseball with his Dad.  So he wanted to hold the bat, I showed him how to hold it just for the picture then stepped back and said "wow, you look like a real red sox player!"  He gave this huge smile that I captured right away!




But you do not always need a smile......




No comments:

Post a Comment